Saturday, January 23, 2010

A day at an old New England mill

The Bernat Mill, also known as Capron Mill, was a yarn mill in Uxbridge, Massachusetts, USA, that was destroyed by fire on July 21, 2007.
This mill complex at Uxbridge had been a hub of manufacturing for Bernat, once based in Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts. The town of Uxbridge was the site of Bernat's main manufacturing unit in the later 20th century. This was the third largest yarn mill in the U.S. The Bernat mill and the town of Uxbridge have a role in U.S. history, and the history of the American Textile manufacturing.  In the early morning of July 21, 2007, a fire erupted at the historic mill, devastating the complex on Mendon and Depot Street. 600 firefighters, from 66 communities, battled the blaze, but the complex was nearly totally destroyed. At the time of the fire, the 400,000 square feet structure, had ceased operating as a mill and had been converted into space containing 65 small businesses. The business losses following the fire were estimated in the millions of dollars and between 300-500 people lost their jobs.
My mother introduced me to this mill in 2006 on a prim shopping trip, I was devastated when it burned down.  The prim businesses have now moved to another historic mill . The Linwood Historic District is a nationally recognized historic district in Northbridge, Massachusetts. It is the site of the Linwood Cotton Mill
Here is a picture of the mill

Photobucket

Here is a picture of the entrance

Photobucket

I really love this place so much. When I walk into this mill I stand and think of all the hard workers that worked here,it is just an amazing place. When God closes a door he opens a window.

Here is a picture of the business owner Corinna Taylor and I.

 Photobucket

Next to her is an antique cash register that tallies up our order and still works after all these years.

 Photobucket

Corinna is so kind, friendly,gracious and helpful. She goes out of her way to help everyone. When I go in there she knows you right away and ALWAYS has a big smile on her face!!! They make you feel like you are a friend, not a customer. Thanks Corinna for letting me take pictures of your beautiful mill and posting this on my blog. I have spent hours in there, many, many times.

Here are some pictures I took of bread boards, spoons,signs, pictures, old hutches and yellow ware

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I have been collecting yellow ware and Mr. Hillcrest said , Hey, Honey come see what I found and here is a picture of what he found.

Photobucket

I said Woo Hoo, I bet that is about $65.00 or more and then he showed me the price, okay prims hold on to your seat, drum roll please~~~~~~$15.00. Yes, you read it right I had to look twice at the price because I couldn't believe my eyes as it is a really large piece. I told Mr. Hillcrest he needs to come with me more often because he has the eye for antiques and he ALWAYS finds the BARGAINS!!!!!!
Here is some more pictures of some yellow ware I saw there

Photobucket

Photobucket

Gorgeous, don't you think???

This is one of the many fantastic places we go to find our prim items in historic New England. As we explore more places, we will share them with you.  I have a list a mile long as I do alot of shopping with Mr. Hillcrest from Rhode Island to Vermont, New Hampshire and throughout Massachusetts.  The thrill of the hunt is one of our favorite activities, especially when we find a good deal.
Well prims, I had a ball. I told you prims I was going to have a recipe for you but Mr. Hillcrest took me out to the mill and I got sidetracked but I will be posting a recipe next week and a dessert to make it up to you prims.
I hope you all had a great time reading my post this week. I hope you all have a blessed week, stay safe and warm, my friends!!

Until next time Prims,
~Blessings~
Tricia

16 comments:

  1. Tricia,

    I just loved looking at your pics, especially the yellow ware.

    Carey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Tricia - the antiques at that mill are amazing! I have t omake a trip there sometime! Your new bowl is great!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Tricia, what a great place! that yellow ware caught my eye too, just gorgeous! so glad you had a nice day and thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my I wish I lived close to you! We would have a blast shopping together!!! That old Mill buidling is beautiful & the anitques inside are awesome! You got a great deal on that huge yellow ware bowl...can't wait to see where you put it! Hubby did a great job finding that one for you. Well it sounds like you had a great Saturday...hope you enjoy your Sunday just as much!
    Hugs,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I definately will be back and follower. LOL. What a great shop thanks for all the eye candy.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOve the pictures, especially the yelloware bowls. Simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all the pictures! You got a great deal on your yelloware bowl. How exciting. I love a great bargain. It looks like you have some great shops in your area.
    ~Aaron~

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great deal on your bowl!! The shop looks wonderful!!
    ~Cindy~

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!!! Looks like a wonderful place! I love trips like that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a wonderful piece of history. bernat yarns is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good Morning Tricia....what a beautiful place.
    I love when towns restore and use the older historic buildings...they have a life of their own and should be carried on.
    Thanks for the wonderful tour.
    karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my favorite places to shop!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow...great pics...and she sure does have plenty of great treasures! Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog, I'm now a follower of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Tricia! Thanks for visiting me! I'm now following you and will add you to my list as well.
    What a great place to shop! How nice that the mill has a new life for everybody to enjoy. I collect yellow ware too and love those first 3 bowls you posted, especially. Congrats on your hubby's nice find! What a bargain! I have a couple like that and they are the medium size. I can't get enough! LOL!
    Looks like we have a lot of the same friends. I am a member fo APP too, but confess that I have not been over there in awhile. I think I remember you from there. :0)
    And thanks about our puppy. She is doing really well with the potty training. She hasn't had an accident in almost 3 weeks. And she is learning little tricks so easily. Poodles are so smart! I hope to see some pics of them eventually. I need to read through your entire blog. Maybe you have already posted pics of them?
    I'm looking forward to getting to know you better! Have a great weekend!
    Carolyn@primitive~devotion

    ReplyDelete
  15. Tricia You will be so proud of me, this is really me!
    Your blog is wonderful.
    You have made such a nice home for your family.I could just sit right down in your kitchen and enjoy one of your great recipes.
    Love Judy C

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like this blog mom! I am proud u learned how to do a blog hahhahaha.
    Love you Mom

    ReplyDelete